Tours on Ambergris Caye (San Pedro, Belize)
Ambergris Caye, nestled in the heart of Belize, is a tropical paradise that beckons travelers with its pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a vibrant cultural scene. This idyllic island offers an array of thrilling adventures and delightful experiences for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re an avid adventurer or a laid-back beach lover, Ambergris Caye has something special in store for you. Learn more about these 5 tours on Ambergris Caye now. Get ready to immerse yourself in the magic of this Caribbean gem as we unveil five must-do activities that leaves you with cherished memories of a lifetime.
Table of Contents
Cast Your Line and Reel in the Fun: Fishing on Ambergris Caye
As the fishing capital of Belize, Ambergris Caye is a dream destination for anglers. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a novice, the island’s rich marine life and abundant fishing opportunities promise an exhilarating experience. Join a guided fishing charter to navigate the dazzling Caribbean waters. Try your hand at catching some of the region’s most sought-after fish, such as tarpon, bonefish, and snapper. Cast your line into the shallows or venture further offshore for some deep-sea action. The thrill of hooking a big one is only matched by the breathtaking scenery that surrounds you. Fishing on Ambergris Caye is an adventure you won’t want to miss.
Types of Fishing in Belize:
Belize has some of the best fishing opportunities in the world! With a variety of environments to choose from, including flats, reefs, and deep-sea waters, there’s something for every type of angler. In the flats, you can catch bonefish, tarpon, and permit, which are prized for their size and fighting abilities. These fish are often caught using fly fishing techniques. Many anglers come from all over the world to try their luck in these waters.
If you’re looking for a more adventurous fishing experience, you can try reef fishing. Which involves catching a variety of species such as snapper, grouper, and barracuda. This type of fishing is done near the coral reefs and can be done by boat or even from the shore.
For those looking for a real challenge, there’s deep-sea fishing. Take a boat out to catch marlin, sailfish, and tuna, among others. This type of fishing requires a boat and specialized equipment, and it can take several hours to reel in these large fish.
In addition to traditional fishing methods, you can also try spearfishing, which involves diving and hunting fish using a spear gun. This is a popular activity in Belize, especially among those looking for a more hands-on fishing experience.
Overall, Belize offers a wide range of fishing opportunities, and it’s no wonder that it’s considered one of the best fishing destinations in the world. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, there’s something for everyone to enjoy when it comes to fishing in Belize.
Food Tours on Ambergris Caye
Embark on a gastronomic journey through the flavors of Belize with a delectable food tour on Ambergris Caye. Discover the island’s vibrant culinary scene as you sample an array of mouthwatering dishes and tropical delights. Savor the catch of the day at a beachside seafood grill. Tantalize your taste buds with spicy Belizean street food. Treat yourself to refreshing tropical fruits. Meet friendly locals who share the secrets behind their beloved recipes, passed down through generations. With each bite, you’ll be captivated by the blend of Mayan, Garifuna, and Caribbean influences that make Belizean cuisine a true delight for the senses.
A food tour in Belize typically includes a range of traditional dishes and local delicacies that showcase the nation’s culinary heritage.
Dishes Featured on Food Tours in San Pedro:
- Rice and beans: This is a staple dish in Belize that is typically made with red kidney beans, rice, coconut milk, and spices. It is often served with chicken, beef, or fish.
- Fry jacks: These are small, deep-fried dough puffs that are similar to beignets. They are often served for breakfast with honey, jam, or cheese.
- Garnaches: these are small corn tortillas that are topped with refried beans, cheese, and pickled onions. They are often served as a snack or appetizer.
- Salbutes: These are small, fried corn tortillas that are topped with shredded chicken, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. They are often served as a snack or light meal.
- Conch fritters: These are deep-fried balls made from conch meat, flour, and spices. They are often served as a snack or appetizer.
- Ceviche: This is a popular seafood dish that is made from raw fish or shrimp marinated in lime juice and spices. It is often served as an appetizer or light meal.
- Belizean rum cake: This is a delicious dessert made from a spiced cake that is soaked in rum syrup. It is often served with ice cream or whipped cream.
These are just a few examples of the many delicious foods that you might be able to try on a food tour in Belize. The exact dishes that you’ll get to sample depends on the tour company and the restaurants that they visit. Belize Food Tours – San Pedro Food Tour in Ambergris Caye
Snorkeling Tours on Ambergris Caye
Beneath the azure waters of Ambergris Caye lies a mesmerizing world waiting to be explored. Grab your snorkeling gear and dive into an underwater paradise filled with vibrant coral reefs, colorful marine life, and an abundance of tropical fish. The Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley are two of the most popular snorkeling spots, offering encounters with nurse sharks, rays, and a kaleidoscope of marine species. Swim alongside graceful sea turtles and be dazzled by the iridescent beauty of the coral formations. With clear waters and excellent visibility, snorkeling on Ambergris Caye promises an unforgettable glimpse into a captivating underwater wonderland.
Top snorkel sites on Ambergris Caye:
- Hol Chan Marine Reserve: Hol Chan is a popular snorkeling destination on Ambergris Caye, and one of the most visited marine reserves in Belize. The reserve is home to a wide variety of marine life, including coral, fish, sea turtles, and rays. The water is usually clear, and visibility can reach up to 100 feet on a good day.
- Shark Ray Alley: Shark Ray Alley is another popular snorkeling location on Ambergris Caye. The site gets its name from the abundance of nurse sharks and southern stingrays that congregate here. Visitors can snorkel with these gentle giants and even feed them, under the supervision of a guide.
- Mexico Rocks: Mexico Rocks is a snorkeling site located a few miles north of San Pedro. The area is known for its unique coral formations, which create a labyrinth of canyons and swim-throughs for snorkelers to explore. Visitors can also spot a variety of marine life here, including colorful fish, lobsters, and octopuses.
- Tres Cocos: Tres Cocos is a shallow snorkeling site located near the shore of Ambergris Caye. The site is known for its large brain corals and abundant marine life, including parrotfish, angelfish, and butterflyfish. The water here is calm and shallow, making it a great spot for beginners or families with young children.
Belize Chocolate Company Tours on Ambergris Caye
For the cocoa connoisseurs and sweet tooths, a visit to the Belize Chocolate Company is a must. This artisanal chocolate haven showcases the art of chocolate-making, from bean to bar. Learn about the fascinating history of cacao in Belize. Take a class on the meticulous process of transforming cacao beans into luscious chocolate delights. Sample an array of mouthwatering treats, from rich dark chocolates to creamy truffles infused with tropical flavors. Don’t leave without stocking up on scrumptious souvenirs to savor the taste of Belize long after your trip has ended. A visit to the Belize Chocolate Company is a true indulgence for chocolate lovers.
Tell me who doesn’t love chocolate? In San Pedro, you can visit a chocolate company! On a tour you can learn more about where Belize’s delicious chocolate comes from. From its historic origins and the process of making it, you can learn the art of chocolate. You can even firsthand take a go at making chocolate from the beans!
Diving Tours on Ambergris Caye
For the ultimate underwater adventure, scuba diving on Ambergris Caye is an absolute must. The island’s proximity to the Belize Barrier Reef makes it a haven for divers seeking to explore a diverse marine ecosystem. Plunge into the depths and encounter a kaleidoscope of marine life, including vibrant corals, majestic eagle rays, and curious sea turtles. Thrilling dive sites like the Blue Hole and Turneffe Atoll beckon experienced divers to uncover the mysteries of the deep. Ambergris Caye offers an unparalleled diving experience that leaves you in awe of nature’s wonders.
Belize is recognized worldwide for having one of the best diving sites in the world.
Top Local Dive Sites in Ambergris Caye:
- The Tackle Box Canyon: Located about 10 miles north of San Pedro. This dive site is named after the nearby Tackle Box Canyon. This is a popular spot for fishing. The dive site features a sloping reef that drops off into a deep canyon, where divers can explore swim-throughs. Divers may encounter a variety of marine life, including sharks, rays, and barracudas.
- Cypress Tunnel: This dive site is located just south of Ambergris Caye. It features a unique underwater tunnel formed by a large, arching cypress tree. Divers can swim through the tunnel and explore the surrounding reef, which is home to a variety of fish and other marine creatures.
- Punta Arena: This dive site is located on the southern end of Ambergris Caye. It features a shallow reef that is home to a variety of colorful fish and coral formations. Divers can explore the reef and encounter marine life such as eagle rays, nurse sharks, and sea turtles.
- Esmeralda Canyons: Located on the eastern side of Ambergris Caye. This dive site features a series of canyons and swim-throughs that are home to a variety of marine life, including schools of fish, rays, and nurse sharks. The site also features several large coral formations and is known for its clear water and excellent visibility.
Activities in Ambergris Caye: Discover and Explore
Ambergris Caye invites you to embrace a world of adventure, flavor, and discovery as you delve into the magic of this Caribbean gem. From fishing in the pristine waters to savoring delectable Belizean cuisine, snorkeling through vibrant coral reefs, exploring the art of chocolate-making, and diving deep into the mysteries of the sea, Ambergris Caye offers a treasure trove of unforgettable experiences. Let this enchanting island weave its spell around you as you create cherished memories that lasts a lifetime. So, pack your bags, dive into the warm Caribbean waters, and let the island of Ambergris Caye mesmerize you with its charm and allure.
Visiting Belize? Stay with Drift Inn
Are you ready for an adventure in Belize? Look no further than Drift Inn. Our comfortable and affordable accommodations provide all the necessities for your trip, including premium mattresses, private bathrooms, A/C, hot water, and WIFI. Plus, our convenient location on the island or in Cayo puts you just steps away from the beach and easy access to all major tour sites.
But we don’t just offer a place to rest your head. Drift Inn is a community of travelers who live to explore and make new connections. Our staff can organize tours and excursions, from trips to the Blue Hole to golf cart or car rental. And with opportunities to meet other guests at the bar, participating in tours, and gathering for live music, you’ll never be short of company. So, book your stay with Drift Inn and start planning your Belizean dream adventure today.