Interesting Facts about Belize
The tiny country of Belize in Central America has diverse cultural history and traditions, as well as an abundance of wildlife. If you’re curious about Belize, here is 20 interesting facts just for you from the beautiful jewel!
Cultural Facts About Belize
- Belize is nicknamed the “Jewel in the heart of the Caribbean basin”.
- Belize’s borders contain over 900 Mayan sites (most of which are not excavated).
- Belize is the only Central American country whose official language is English. In the country, however, you’ll hear Creole, Spanish, Garifuna, and Mayan languages mixed together.
- The state also has some weird folklore characters. One of them is El Sisimito. He is a dwarf with a thumbnail complex. He has no thumbs, so he cuts off everyone else’s. He’s also notorious for his iconic red hat and silver guitar.
- The gibnut, a local species that is a large rodent, is referred to as ‘the royal rat’ because Queen Elizabeth visited a decade ago ate gibnut!
Belize Tourism Attractions Facts about Belize
- The Belize Barrier Reef is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Belize has the second largest Barrier Reef in the world, second to Australia. In this beautiful reef you can find over 450 fish species and coral thriving!
- Belize has world-class diving. It is a great destination to get dive-certified. In many other parts of the Caribbean the diving is around volcanic rock, so not as entertaining.
- San Pedro, the second largest town in the Belize District, gets thousands of travelers every year from all over the world and is the top destination in Belize. It is also considered “La Isla Bonita”.
- Have you wanted to visit a jaguar sanctuary? Belize is home to the ONLY jaguar reserve on the planet, the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The famous Blue Hole was discovered by marine biologist Jacques Cousteau in Belize. This amazing diving site is in the middle of an offshore coral atoll. The Blue Hole was voted one of the top 10 best diving sites in the World.
More Quirky Facts About Belize
- When visiting Belize, you won’t find any fast-food chains such as McDonalds or Burger King.
- The cost of medical treatment is very affordable in Belize. But, since the country is small, there are few medical specialists or hospitals to choose from. For serious conditions, expats and Belizeans often go back to their home country or to Mexico or Guatemala for surgeries or complex treatments.
- Belize has over 400 islands. They are called cayes, pronounced like “keys”.
- Belize has only 4 highways to travel across the country.
- Belize is in the Central Standard Time zone and does not observe daylight saving time.
- Belize’s Black Howler Monkeys are among the top 10 loudest animals in the world.
- One of Belize’s greatest points is the Doyle’s Delight. This is a tree covered mountain peak, where you can spot tons of jaguars in the nighttime.
- The pyramid shaped El Castillo is the tallest man-made structure in Belize. A ghost referred to as “stone- woman”, who has fiery eyes and wears white clothing, is said to scale the stairs and mix with the temple wall.
- One US dollar is equal to two Belize dollars, so the conversion is super easy.
- Three of the world’s four coral atolls in the Caribbean Sea are in Belize.
Visiting Belize? Stay with Drift Inn
Are you ready for an adventure in Belize? Look no further than Drift Inn. Our comfortable and affordable accommodations provide all the necessities for your trip, including premium mattresses, private bathrooms, A/C, hot water, and WIFI. Plus, our convenient location on the island or in Cayo puts you just steps away from the beach and easy access to all major tour sites.
But we don’t just offer a place to rest your head. Drift Inn is a community of travelers who live to explore and make new connections. Our staff can organize tours and excursions, from trips to the Blue Hole to golf cart or car rental. And with opportunities to meet other guests at the bar, participating in tours, and gathering for live music, you’ll never be short of company. So, book your stay with Drift Inn and start planning your Belizean dream adventure today.